Software-Defined Storage Ensures Non-Stop Business Operations at “Convenience Store Chain of the Year” Thorntons
We were totally reliant on having everything on our primary SAN. If something happened to a volume, or something happened to some data, there would be downtime involved before we could get it back up – whether that was downtime to replace hardware, or downtime to retrieve data from a backup; that was our only option. We just did not have the flexibility we needed. We have it now with the DataCore SANsymphony software-defined storage deployed as two synchronous mirrors.
Kevin Schmidt, Senior Network Engineer
With so many locations—operating across two time zones—basic store functionality is imperative and the reason why Thorntons is such a write-intensive enterprise. Everything that Thorntons does at the store level is considered “mission critical” and is contingent upon system uptime due to their 24/7/365 operation. Attaining non-stop business operations as well as better performance management and capacity management is what drove Thorntons to explore new alternatives to its Dell Compellent SANs that were deployed previously.
- Zero-downtime with SANsymphony software-defined storage deployed as two synchronous mirrors
- 50% faster backups (including VMware VMs and SQL databases), which enables the number of full backups from one to three times a week
- Significant risk reduction attained due to the ability to replicate volumes instantaneously to both the primary and secondary sites
- Continuité des opérations
- Disaster Recovery
- Performance Improvement
- Virtualisation du stockage